Pages

Friday 19 November 2021

Science (Volcano) Experiment

Pick a volcano - White Island


Where is it? It is located 48km from the east coast of the North Island of New Zealand, in the Bay of Plenty


What's special about it? It has been built up by continuous volcanic activity over the past 150,000 years.


When did it last erupt? What was the damage? 9 Dec 2019: Eighteen people were killed and a further 26 were seriously injured, many crucially. It also sent a plume of ash and gas more than 3.5km into the air.


What are the local stories/ myths about this volcano? The volcanoes Ngauruhoe, Tongariro, and White Island are present in a Maori legend. A medicine man named Ngatoro was climbing up Tongariro with a woman named Auruhoe. He told his followers not to eat while he was gone in order to give him strength on top of the cold mountain.

Conclusion?



Cool pictures

Why White Island erupted and why there was no warning - Australian  Geographic

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.