Pages

Friday 26 March 2021

Neutralization

 Aim: To observe a neutralization reaction.

Equipment: A test tube, test tube rack, 1 mol L-1 Na2CO3 (sodium carbonate), 1 mol L-1 HCI (hydrochloride acid), dropper of dropper bottle, Universal indicator solution.

Method: Add approximately 1-2 mL of Na2CO3 and place the test tube into the test tube rack. Add 3-5 drops of Universal indicator solution. Using a dropper bottle, add HCI drop by drop. Be careful because adding even small amount of extra acid can mean you'll miss the neutralization point.

Results: when we added the universal indicator to the acids it either changed slowly to green and then turn blue because added to much universal indicator. But if we added a few drops it would either turn yellow or orange, with the base it kind of stayed the same but it started to change after a lot of drops but overall it had to take a lot of drops to make the base turn neutral and a few drops to make the acid neutral.

Discussion: There's not much to say about what does it mean but all I know is that we always had to use universal indicator to turn the acid and base into a neutral.

Conclusion: In the end our rack that had base and acid were red, orange, and green we had no base I because me and my friend were trying to turn the base into the color purple by adding a lot of universal indicator to the base but when we added one drop of acid it turned red so fast it was very cool. I think next time I wouldn't add acid to make purple I think maybe if I keep adding drops of base and universal indicator to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.