Pages

Wednesday 4 August 2021

DNA Extraction Experiment

 Aim: To extract DNA from the kiwi fruit.

Method: 

  1. Mush half a kiwi fruit in a zip lock bag with a splash of water and a small teaspoon of salt.
  2. Strain the solution through a cloth into a beaker.
  3. Add a squirt of dish washing liquid and stir.
  4. Pour into a test tube.
  5. Place the test tube in a beaker filled with WARM water.
  6. Leave for 10mins. (Begin blog in this time).
  7. Slowly our 5mL of methylated spirits down the inside of the test tube.



Discussion: 
Where do you find DNA?
DNA is found in the cell nucleus where it is called nuclear DNA  
What makes up DNA?
DNA is made up of chemical building blocks called nucleotide these blocks are made of 3 parts a phosphate group, a sugar group, and one of four types of nitrogen bases. 
How much DNA do humans share with the Banana?
60%
Conclusion: 

Did it work?
Yes it worked once we added the mentholated spirits to the test tube the top of it became clear the middle had the DNA and the bottom had green slime looking thing.
Would you do anything differently?
I would use more kiwi fruit to get more kiwi fruit DNA which means I could play with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.